Sunday, July 16, 2023

My Favorite Medium

 Though I love to do digital art, my favorite medium will always be graphite pencil, followed closely by colored pencil. Between motherhood and everything else, I will from time to time complete a hand-drawn illustration. This past week my family camped in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, and being unplugged from much of our technology helped me focus on my hand-drawn art much more.

The first piece I completed before the campout. I had drawn out this character, but it took me several months to get to actually shading her. I was on a creative burn out and was itching to lubricate my drawing muscles, so I found the picture, sat down, and shaded it. It's a little rough in places, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless.

This character is Kierra of Karin, a character that appears in The Legend of Draconite series. She's taking a break from being awesomely sneaky to sniff a flower. I had a lot of fun doing her helmet in particular; it's supposed to resemble a dragon head, and its horns are unusually long for a Draconite helm.

This second piece I did completely at camp. I had this idea of Sabra in a pensive pose, using her armor to rest her hands on while she took a deep breath. I didn't really have an idea for a background at first, but I thought of forest, and then it kind of turned into a seaside trail. This is her in her short-haired days, between Books II and III of The Legacy Incarnate.

Fun fact about elf hair in the Chronicles of Libera: it grows pretty slow! It is also a huge health indicator for an elf. To have it suddenly removed (as was Sabra's in this case) can be traumatizing. You may notice on the cover art of LI Sabra's hair getting slowly longer, even with the large time spans between books. Now you know why.

As always, the scanner never does graphite pictures justice. I tried to edit the pictures to the original shade in GIMP, and got as close as I could. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment