Friday, October 31, 2014

Tales of the Creepy Dragon

For the last few months I've been reading Tales of Goldstone Wood, a series of fantasy-fairytale stories by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.  I recently finished Book 3, Moonblood, and hopefully I'll soon read Starflower once it's available to me in the library system. (I know, I'm cheap when it comes to books; I only buy books I really like, and when we have the funds :P)

I finished a piece of fan art based on one of her stories, and it has made me happy completing it.  It's entitled "Sacrifice."  It's based on a scene near the end of the first book, Heartless, where the Dragon gets his come-uppins from the savior/god-like/faerie prince figure Aethelbald.  I love his character, full of goodness and no-nonsense.  I also love-hated the Dragon, because he was such a "good" villain.  Utterly awful character that toys around with the lives of people alongside his shady, evil sister.  Whee!

This picture was a learning experience for me.  I started this picture with black line art, and spent some time doing the Dragon's scales.  There are three main light-sources: the sun in the background, the dragon's flames, and the sword Fireword.  For the background, I wanted it to look like the sky was getting shrouded in the Dragon smoke.

The Dragon reflects little light, even from his flames; the way I interpret him, his black scales absorb a lot of light.  I purposely wanted him to be shadowy, and when I started coloring him, I colored his eye first.  Creeped me out!  I felt shivers.  I'm glad that feeling I got from the story translated into this picture.

So I did the raging flames and the red and yellow glow on his belly scales.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to fit the details of his scales into the colored picture, but it worked out when I put in the poisonous smoke that belches from his mouth.  At the same time the Dragon remained shadowy.  He also has black teeth complete with drool and blood.  I just wanted him to look unhuggable, you know?

Aethelbald was much easier to do, and I looked forward to coloring him because the cool blue color of his clothing would contrast with the hellish warm colors coming from the Dragon.  I tried not to make him look terribly handsome, as Stengl describes him as being plain in the story, but he still has a powerful figure and a face of courage, ready to drive that sword into the Dragon.

Fun picture to do!  I have an idea for another digital piece, although it may be some time before I complete it.  These days, I have to either edit or write or draw, but I can only do one of them and do it for the day if I want to complete my goal.  I traded any time to edit or write today for the chance to finish this picture, and I'm glad I did.







No comments:

Post a Comment