Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Legend of Draconite Cover Art: E'lsra

This is the third installment of The Legend of Draconite cover art series.

E'lsra

For all my wonderful readers, I'm happy to reveal the Amazon edition cover art for Book 3 of The Legend of Draconite: E'lsra!






When I was first writing The Legend of Draconite during High School, I didn't really know where the series was going until Book 5, the last book in the series. I think the same goes for the first edition cover art, haha. It's been an adventure trying to tie all the books together into an overarcing plot in the revision.

The first edition cover features Tasaru on the left and Rune's lusty motivation for inconveniencing everyone on the right, bearing the Wyvern's wings. I wish I still had all the .xcfs (GIMP files) for these old covers. The solid colors took so much layering. I also took clouds out of a photograph and pasted them in the background because why not?

The second edition features Gage Mon, Draconite of Speed, running through the Tyrellan woods. Like all the 2nd edition covers, the BG is a photograph I took. This photograph I actually took during the day, and then modified the coloring on it so it looked like it was dusky.

The sad thing about these second edition covers is I don't have the original pocket-book size pictures anymore, and so if I tried to enlarge them too much, they lose quality. I think at one point during the super-revision of Sunstone I considered reusing these covers, but with lack of quality and no .xcf files left for them, I needed to start over.

Now we have the Amazon cover! This features Gage too with his sword Silence and the Gift machine Dragonhart on his chest. I mentioned in the previous installment that I had based the armor of the Draconites in these new covers off the 2nd edition covers; I didn't do that for this one. Didn't think to. However, I think this most recent edition is a more fitting representation of what kind of armor Gage would wear: sleek, tight-fitting, helping him run faster.

The background represents Loran runes, as this story deals more with the Loran Rutia, or magicked stone griffins of Tyrell.

Thanks for joining me on this cover art post. Keep an eye out for future installments!

No comments:

Post a Comment