Saturday, February 28, 2015

LI Cover make-over & ARC

The first Incarnate Journey design.

As my readers may know, I'm planning on moving my books from Lulu over to Amazon Createspace (although I may do eBooks just on Lulu).  As part of this process, I'll be making new book covers and re-doing old ones.

I'll admit, ever since I completed the front cover of Book I of The Legacy Incarnate: Incarnate Journey, I've never been terribly satisfied about the design.  I felt I had to cram everything into a small space.  I turned to the Mythic Scribes community for some critique on the Incarnate Journey cover, and got some excellent pointers on how to improve the design.

Consequently, I've redone the design.  I'm keeping the art, but the titles and stuff are a lot different...and a lot cleaner and easier to look at.

The new Incarnate Journey design



Probably the most prominent change is the spine edge.  I removed the chrome design and the large roman numerals.  I streamlined the text so that everything except the Chronicles of Libera logo is the same font. When I first did the Incarnate Journey cover, I was worried about remembering which font was which and having all the images and bleck.

Book II of The Legacy Incarnate:
Incarnate Dream
I also had a concept picture of Sabra's dagger I did a long time ago, and I had wanted to use it in something.  This redesign gave it the perfect opportunity to showcase itself as a logo for the series.

The redesign also simplified the design a lot for the other two front covers I've completed.  I just had to keep one font, take note of the font sizes, and do some copying and pasting.  So now the front covers for Books II & III are done!  It was fun coordinating the colors for the titles and my penname.  On Book I I was trying to figure out what to do with my name, and then suddenly it typed in the same base color as the background, and everything became awesome.

Book III of The Legacy Incarnate:
Incarnate Memory
This makes me want to go work on the cover for Book IV: Incarnate Key, which will have a black and white palette.

I need to finished redoing the back cover for Book I, and then I need to do Book II's back cover in preparation for its publication this year.

Redesigning the cover for Book I is a breath of fresh air for me.  Although critique can hurt sometimes, it's worth the pain to improve upon my art.








Copyright Thor Media.

My brothers and some of their associates, part of their business of Thor Media LLC, have been working on a web comic called ARC.  It's about a middle-aged ex-ranger named Nathan Savage and his pet rabbit Cinnamon Toast who are trying to save the world from all sorts of forms of apocalyptic annihilation.  It's a fun comic, and Cinnamon Toast is so cute.

The company has been using Patreon to raise funds for the comic.  It's just on the web right now, but they hope to put it into print.  Please take a look at this comic and talented group of artists and programmers!

Everyone have a wonderful end of February, and I'll write to you in March!



No comments:

Post a Comment