Thursday, October 29, 2015

How big is the Southern Isles?

No, this isn't the Southern Isles from Disney's Frozen.  I'm talking about the Southern Isles of Libera, the Heart of the World, where the backbone of the Chronicles of Libera's stories takes place.

I randomly decided to compare a piece of our world's map with the Southern Isles.  I used Google Maps to use a scale of 50mi/inch, and tried to scale my Southern Isles map (which is a little under 40mi/inch, I believe) to the Google map.  I used an area that includes Utah and some surrounding states.  What came out was really interesting.



I don't think much about comparing the scale of our world to Libera, although I do have a general idea of how far characters can travel in a few days or weeks on foot or horseback.  I think I've tried to do a scaled comparison of the Southern Isles before, and it's actually kind of surprising how big the area is.

Fun fun.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Greg. Good, practical stuff. I just floated your article around my network. Keep up the good work.

    wall to wall carpet supplier in delhi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed this article, but my name is actually Sarah, not Greg :)

      Delete